Coffee Break

Coffee Break

Friday, August 20, 2010

Track workout!

for about the last week or so I have been DYEING to run fast.  I don't mean like a two minute interval, or a little fartlek run..  I mean FAST!!  I finally got my chance yesterday at the track and boy did it feel good.  I am starting to really enjoy this relationship I am fostering with the local track.  It's nice to go somewhere and just leave everything you've got on that red dirt that so many other runners have sweated, cried, bled, vomited, and pushed there all into.  Something about the track is quite inspiring actually.  And you can always tell the people that are there to really RUN the ones that warm up by doing "high knees" and then leave a dust trail behind them when they sprint.  Oh yeah, this is a culture i could get used to. Running.

I was pretty proud of my times considering how long it has been since i've consistently done any speed work.  I worked on 600s this week.  Did two 3x600s the first set i did my 600s in around 2:45 and my second set around 2:25.  I'm always proud of myself when i give just a little more on my second set.  Just like today at the pool.

Today's swim was a bit intimidating to me.  I started with a 1,000m timed negative split.  This wouldn't seem intimidating to most serious triathletes but it is the furthest I have swum without resting on a wall since my return to the sport.  So, I was not looking forward to this.  Turns out I did quite well, in my own humble opinion.  Was able to complete the 1k swim in 20:12.  then i had three more timed events two 200m sprints of which the second was to be faster (3:42 and 3:31) i was very satisfied that i was able to complete another negative split effort on this one.  Finally finishing it out with a timed 400m that i was able to complete in 7:41 I am not sure how I should feel about that time but generally I like to keep a good attitude about my workouts so I'd say I'm pleased with it.

Oh... and i haven't mentioned "Company PT".  Yesterday it came as a bit of a surprise to me when my "Gunny" told me that we would be meeting up at 0530 for a company run.  He made sure to reinforce the importance of being hydrated (that's always a sign of a difficult run).  This morning we ran for almost 7.5 miles of which an entire mile was on the beach.  I'm sure all of you are aware of the difficulty of running on sand.  So needless to say, today was a tough day.

A great start to the weekend!

No comments: