Coffee Break

Coffee Break

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Tantalus? Sure! Why not?

Yesterday afternoon I started a dialogue, via text message, with my new riding buddy Geoff.  It went along the lines of:

Me:  Still on for that ride tomorrow
Geoff:  Sure, where do you want to go?
Me:  Well, I wanted to ride north, but should probably hit some hills.  Lets ride through kailua and towards Hawaii Kai.
Geoff:  F*ck it!  Let's ride Tantalus.
Me:  Ok, but how are we getting out there?  I can't do a 4.5 hour ride tomorrow.  I don't want to sabotage my key run on sunday.
Geoff:  C'mon dude, f*ck it!  Just do it!
Me:  I'll call you when I get off work.  I really wanna ride Tantalus!

After explaining to Geoff that I am in marathon training now, but would be glad to meet him in town and ride tantalus he agreed to the compromise.

So after a 0500 wake up, a baby food breakfast (Yummy bananas, apples, and pears) I loaded everything in the car and took off.  I got to the agreed Safeway parking lot and I headed over to that national chain coffee place that will remain nameless to grab a drink loaded with caffeine and sugar (it happened to be a cinnamon soy latte no cream.  Didn't want any dairy to mess me up).  Geoff and I enjoyed our coffee and then started our ride.

I really enjoyed my climb!  We warmed up for a measly 20 minutes, so needless to say the first 20 minutes of the climb were a bit forced.  But after I got going, I toasted Geoff.  Not that it was a race.  Not at all.  I just like to maintain a certain cadence.  It felt good at that speed any slower and I would've been working harder at each pedal stroke.  It was nice to maintain some momentum.  In retrospect, maybe i should've saved some for the way back up the second time.  Maybe it was the caffeine, maybe it was sheer excitement who knows.


What's that look on my face? PAIN.  sheer suffering. masochistic cyclist pain at its finest.  This shot was taken 1/2 up the back side after our initial decent.  I made the call to take a few breaks on the way up the second time to take some photos.  You only ride Tantalus your first time once (well I guess twice in my case. lol)  not to mention I was exhausted from the effort of the initial climb and didn't really want to do it again.  I'm glad I did.  

The descent was an all out blast!  Sharp hairpin turns and everything.  

Par for the course I had my one obligatory close call.  A truck with an oversized tool box thing where his bed should have been got within inches of my shoulder.  He actually went to pass me, and I guess he didn't realize how fast I was going.  Because as soon as I was in his blind spot, he began to move back over to the right.  Forcing me to the curb.  I began shouting some "colorful" language and BONUS his window was down AND he just happened to be stopped at a red light.  I had to resist the urge to climb through his window and begin to pummel him.  But by the time my friend and I were done with him he was definitely shaken.  Score! one more driver cautious around cyclist.  

Geoff and I had post ride Crepes and some wonderful organic nectar with ingredients like:  organic strawberries, organic lemon, and I can't even remember what else the server listed but it was PERFECT!

I am looking forward to my run tomorrow.  

5 comments:

Michelle Simmons said...

"Not that it was a race..." Lol.

Ange said...

I like that quote too Michelle...
Thanks for commenting on my blog! Tell me about your nutrtion issues...I noticed you ate baby food pre-workout?
I don't always have troubles, but when I do it really messes me up.
Glad to find your blog! Is Michelle your coach?

Unknown said...

Well I have recently returned to the sport and since I have. I have been suffering gi distress regularly. Likely due to a few different reasons. The main one is probably just that my body isn't used to the hard efforts just yet. Another reason is very likely the high fat meals I've been eating ore-race. I guess peanut butter isn't a good choice for me pre race. So, I have been doing a lot of experimenting I just happened to have some baby food left over from when I was on a liquid diet (due to a 3 piece lefort surgery). So I thought it sounded like a good idea! It actually worked quite well.

Unknown said...

Oh. And yes. Michelle is my coach.

Regina said...

Hey! I didn't know you had a blog! Michelle just told me the other day. I finally made it over. I can't wait to read about all your IM training (and no, I am not going to sign up for an IM next year too, perish the thought!).

Glad you didn't get side swiped; it's scary out there for a cyclist!