Coffee Break

Coffee Break

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

swimming, it's supposed to hurt too.

Let me just start this one with a familiar phrase. "Damn that workout really hurt!"

Ok now we dive in! I was afraid of today's workout as soon as I read it. It included a hellish interval of 3x(200@4:00, 100@2:00) at the end. I wasn't even sure if I could pull this off. The things that were going through my head while i was doing this interval were a lot of self affirming phrases like "you can do this" "don't quit now" "you're your own enemy". Something I read in the comments section of Regina's latest blog really helped me. It was a quote reminding me why I chose, so willingly, to punish myself. It's because it's SUPPOSED to be hard! It wouldn't be any fun if it weren't.

As I was doing the first part of this workout I was thinking to myself. "Man you really shouldn't have swam so fast last week. Now Michelle knows what you've got." But I did my best to force that negative attitude out of my head and "embrace" the workout. I always seem to do the best when I look the challenge in the face and don't back down.

Turns out. I had it in me! I look back at it and see it as a favor really. Michelle set a goal for me that I probably wouldn't have set for myself knowing that it would be uncomfortable. And it was. VERY uncomfortable. There were a few times that I layed hunched over the wall almost ready to vomit from sheer effort. I didn't want to start the next interval after I finished the one before it but I didn't give myself that option. "You can do this. You HAVE to do this". I'd say, this is probably the hardest I have ever swam in my life! I guess I have many more workouts like this to look forward to.

1 comment:

Michelle Simmons said...

Lol. Yes, now I know what you've got. :) Great job today!