Coffee Break

Coffee Break

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Finishing off the 2010 triathlon season!

Just finished up with the "Tradewind Triathlon".  Official splits:


Overall 27th (25-29 6th) time 1:10:58
Swim 500m 10:29 32nd (T1 0:42)
Bike 11 miles 34:18 34th (T2 0:57)
Run 5k 24:33 57th  
out of 186 competitors


I woke up at 0315 this morning, as is typical on race day but not necessary since this morning's race was only a 10 minute bike ride from my front door.  So i had a couple of pieces of peanut butter toast and a glass of orange juice to get me going.  Then... i waited... made some final preparations, finished packing my transition bag and pumped up my tires.  Then... it happened... I blew my inner tube!  ok, no need to panic.  I have two spares and plenty of time.  I got my spare put my wheel back together, and wouldn't you know it... I BLEW OUT ANOTHER ONE!!  Oh god!  this isn't shaping up to be a very good morning.  Ok Andrew, just relax, *check my watch 0455 bike inspections are at 0500* ok relax.  Wiping the sweat from my brow and taking a deep breath i retrieved my second and final inner tube from the garage.  "Ok, Andrew only fill this one to 120psi NOT 140..."  got it!  whew!  


After riding my bike to the start of the triathlon I realized that i still had plenty of time, as i was the only competitor present.  I then ask frank and the guys at the IT&B tent if they need some help with the bike checks.  After dropping off my run transition bag (that's a story in itself) and picking up my timing chip i helped Frank and the guys out for a while.  


Pre-race mode... GO!  I hardly warmed up (oops).  Listened to the course brief.  Asked the race coordinator to go over the swim one more time, I have a reputation for missing buoys.  then swam out to the deep water start line.   I saw one guy start swimming off and looked at my buddy and asked jovially "did they say go?" he then replied "nope, don't think s- BANG-o OH I GUESS THEY DID!"  Head down in the water pulling away, i found somebody's feet to follow.  Stayed on him almost the entire way out.  On the way back i had some issues sighting and struggled to maintain my pace.  Exiting the water i saw an old rival of mine who works here on K-bay.  


"Kevin", my "Gunny" and i talk about Kevin all the time.  He's one of these guys that will look for you at the finish line just to let you know how bad he beat you.  And we see Kevin at every single race we do. Today, before the start of the race, i told kevin I'd be waiting for him at the finish line.  It felt good to beat him to T1.  


Back to the race, into T1 i remembered all that practice i did friday on my transitions (about 40mins worth) smooth and easy just like i practiced.  Onto the bike not much to say here.  Other than Roberto hammering past me on what little bit of a hill there was.  There was one guy though we kinda went back and forth just friendly little competition.  Every time we hit the headwind on the flight line i would get into a really aggressive aero position and catch him, then we'd turn around and he would catch me.  It went like this until T2 where i turned to him and said "I'll race ya!".  


T2... what a mess...  ok, so let me describe this situation to you.  They had T1 and T2 in two completely separate places.  So, remember that "run bag"?  Yeah, it was a trash bag with a number 8 sticker on it and my running shoes and socks stuffed inside.  So as i ride into the T2 corale a guy with a microphone says "Eight"  i run around looking for a place to hang my bike and think... "why am i still holding this thing this corale is virtually empty" i hang it immediately and run to the guy holding my trash bag.  Dump the contents on the ground shake the grass out of my socks THEN i am able to attempt a quick transition.  By this time the guy i was racing with on the bike is long gone. 


I start to book it.  Grab some water out of T2, almost choke on the friggin water.  I don't know why i was trying to drink it so fast.  I guess i was still in transition mode.  Then the pain sets in,  the dreaded side stitch.  only a mile into the run and already gripping my ribs in pain.  Oh, and the hills.  Lets just say the run course was challenging and any of you who have trained or raced on the Marine Base in Kaneohe will know what i mean when i say "KT".  I needn't say more.


All in all it was an exciting race.  I came across the finish line sprinting to catch and pass the guy in front of me (that's always a psychological game to me) by one second.  I then collapsed in pain on the ground just past the finish.  You know you put out when the race staff asks you if you're ok. 


And then, After I had time to collect myself, stand up, and brush myself off.  I saw "Kevin" cross the finish line.  That's right. I WIN! (thanks Michelle!)


Now onward to Marathon training!!

No comments: